Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Verifying square corners.
The Pythagorean theorem often used
- to verify if a corner is square (90 degrees)
and can be expressed as
C2 = A2 + B2 (1)
(1) can be transformed to express the length of hypotenuse C as
C = (A2 + B2)1/2 (1b)
Example - Determine the length of the Hypotenuse - C
With A = 5 m and B = 10 m - the length of the hypotenuse - C - can be calculated as
C = ((5 m)2 + (10 m)2)1/2
= 11.2 m
Squaring a Corner
The angle is square (90 degrees) if
- A = 3 (m, ft)
- B = 4 (m, ft)
- C = 5 (m, ft)
Calculate square triangle hypotenuse - C - length:
A / sin a = B / sin b = C / sin c (2)
- Mathematical rules and laws - numbers, areas, volumes, exponents, trigonometric functions and more.
- Calculate angles with a straight board across carpenter's square.
- Distance and intermediate position between two point in a cartesian x and y coordinate system.
- A body and the center of gravity.
- The controid of square, rectangle, circle, semi-circle and right-angled triangle.
- Radius and side lengths of equal areas, circles and squares.
- Areas, diagonals and more - of geometric figures like rectangles, triangles, trapezoids ..
- Exponential functions related to the hyperbola.
- One side of a triangle when the opposite angle and two sides are known.
- Calculate the angles in a generic triangle.
- Triangles and law of tangents.
- Calculate miter saw protractor angles for skirting and decorative mouldings work.
- Numbers - squares, cubes, square roots and cube roots.
- Calculate oblique triangles.
- Convert between Cartesian and Polar coordinates.
- Areas of regular polygons - polygons with 3 to 12 sides.
- Right angled triangle equations.
- Triangle analytical geometry.
- Sine, cosine and tangent - the natural trigonometric functions.
- Online vector calculator - add vectors with different magnitude and direction - like forces, velocities and more.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2010). Pythagorean Theorem. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pythagorean-theorem-d_1713.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.