Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Osmotic pressure in food products.
Reverse-omosis membrane systems can be used to remove water from water-solute mixtures. Osmotic pressures for some common food products are indicated below:
Food Products - Osmotic Pressures
|Food||Concentration||Osmotic Pressure |
|Apple juice ||15% solids ||2070 |
|Cofee extraxt ||28% solids ||3450 |
|Grape juice ||16% solids ||2070 |
|Lactic acid ||1% (w/v) ||552 |
|Lactose ||4.7% (w/v) ||380 |
|Milk ||9% solids, no fat ||690 |
|Orange juice ||11% solids ||1587 |
|Sodium chloride ||1% (w/v) ||862 |
|Whey ||6% solids ||690 |
- 1 Pa = 10-6 N/mm2 = 10-5 bar = 1.45x10-4 psi (lbf/in2)
- w/v = weight/volume
- Engineering related topics like Beaufort Wind Scale, CE-marking, drawing standards and more.
- The drying force of air depends on the air moisture holding capacity and the water surface to air evaporation capacity.
- Drying temperature and time for products like food, coffee, fruits, lumber and more.
- Energy in carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- pH in common food products - like apples, butter, wines and more.
- Specific heat of common food and foodstuff like apples, bass, beef, pork and many more.
- Bulk densities of some common food products like grain, corn, barley, sugar and more.
- Absolute (dynamic) viscosity for common food products.
- Common bacteria and viruses found in food.
- Thermal conductivity of selected foodstuff like apples, beef, sugar and more.
- Thermal diffusivity of some selected food products.
- Practical storage life for common frozen food products.
- Optimal temperature and humidity conditions for common fruits and vegetables.
- Heating with microwaves.
- Pasteurization methods, time and temperatures.
- Water content before and after drying - in food and other products cork, grain, soap, peat, wood and more.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2012). Food Products - Osmotic Pressures. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/osmotic-pressure-food-d_1826.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.