Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Bending and compression strength of wood species used in beams.
Compression and bending strengths of wood species typically used in beams:
- 1 psi (lb/in2) = 6895 Pa (N/m2)
- 1 MPa = 106 Pa
- Deflection and stress, moment of inertia, section modulus and technical information of beams and columns.
- Moments and reaction support forces with distributed or point loads.
- Carrying capacities of domestic timber floor joists - Grade C - metric units.
- Floors and minimum uniformly distributed live loads.
- Common sizing of glue-laminated timber.
- Species of hardwood vs. softwood.
- Properties of HE-A profiled steel beams.
- Weights of green, kiln dried and pressure treated lumber boards.
- Grading of lumber in North America
- No. 1 and No. 2 Grade of Douglas fir and maximum span floor joists - imperial units
- Allowable withdrawal load for nail and spikes.
- Strength classes, bending stress and mean density of hardwood and softwood
- Rough lumber, surfaced lumber (dressed), worked lumber, shop and factory lumber and yard lumber.
- Basic size, area, moments of inertia and section modulus for timber - metric units.
- Properties of structural lumber.
- Trees species and relative water demand.
- Height of trees commonly used in towns and urban areas.
- Stress and deformation of vertical beams due to own weight.
- Red Spruce, Longleaf Pine and Douglas Fir - moisture content and their compressive strength.
- The density of wood versus moisture content.
- Safe loads for wood columns.
- Weight supported by a double or triple wood headers.
- Allowable withdrawal load force.
- Density, fibre stress, compressive strength and modulus of elasticity of clear wood, panel and structural timber products.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2009). Wood Beams - Strength of Material. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-beams-strength-d_1480.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.