Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Friction or major resistance in condensate pipe lines.
The table below can be used for running load. A common rule of thumb, if the start up conditions are unknown, double the running load to size condensate pipe lines.
Avoid friction resistance above 10 inches Water gauge - H2O - per 100 ft of pipe.
Example - Sizing Condensate Pipe
For a steam distribution system with a running load of 2000 lb/h - the startup condensate load is doubled to 4000 lb/h.
Using the 10 inch H2O column - a 1 1/2 inch pipe is acceptable.
- Sizing of steam and condensate pipe lines - pressure loss, recommended velocity, capacity and more.
- Steam & condensate systems- properties, capacities, pipe sizing, systems configuration and more.
- Huge amounts of condensate are generated when cold steam pipes are heated up must be drained from the pipes.
- When cold steam pipes are heated up they generate huge amounts of condensate that must be drained away from the pipe through steam traps - in Imperial Units.
- Flow and pressure loss in condensate return lines - SI Units.
- Calculate flash steam generation in condensate pipe lines.
- High temperatures and danger of impeller cavitation is the major challenge for condensate pumping in steam systems.
- Heat loss from steam pipes generates condensate which must be drained from the system - imperial units.
- Heat loss from steam pipes generates condensate which must be drained from the system.
- Maximum capacities for condensate pipe lines in kW steam consumption.
- Max. capacities (lb/hour) in gravity condensate return lines.
- Properly draining steam pipes for condensate.
- Steam tracing of pipe lines can be done to maintain appropriate product temperatures.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2003). Condensate Pipe Lines - Friction Resistance Imperial Units. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/major-friction-resistance-condensate-pipes-d_279.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.