Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Consumption of hot water per person or occupant.
Flow rate and temperature are the primary factors to be determined in the hydraulic and thermal design of water-heating and piping systems.
The table below indicates hot water consumption per occupant or person in typical buildings:
Hot Water Consumption vs. Occupants
|Type of building||Consumption per occupant||Peak demand per occupant||Storage per occupant|
|Factories (no process) ||22 - 45 ||5 - 10 ||9 ||2 ||5 ||1 |
|Hospitals, general ||160 ||35 ||30 ||7 ||27 ||6 |
|Hospitals, mental ||110 ||25 ||22 ||5 ||27 ||6 |
|Hostels ||90 ||20 ||45 ||10 ||30 ||7 |
|Hotels ||90 - 160 ||20 - 35 ||45 ||10 ||30 ||7 |
|Houses and flats ||90 - 160 ||20 - 35 ||45 ||10 ||30 ||7 |
|Offices ||22 ||5 ||9 ||2 ||5 ||1 |
|Schools, boarding ||115 ||25 ||20 ||4 ||25 ||5 |
|Schools, day ||15 ||3 ||9 ||2 ||5 ||1 |
- Hot and cold water service systems - design properties, capacities, sizing and more.
- Domestic Hot-Water sizing equations - heating capacity, recovery rate and power supply.
- Design procedures for domestic hot water service systems.
- Lime deposited vs. temperature and water consumption.
- Content of hot water in some common used fixtures - basins, sinks and baths.
- Recommended dimensions hot and cold water pipes.
- Hot water can be circulated through a return pipe if it's instantly required at the fixtures.
- Dimensions and capacities of hot-water storage tanks.
- Hot water consumption of some common equipment as basins, sinks, baths and showers.
- Design hot water consumption of fixtures - basins, showers, sinks and baths.
- Activity and average water consumption
- Converting WSFU - Water Supply Fixture Units - to GPM.
- WSFU is used to calculate water supply service systems.
- Free online tool for designing water supply systems in buildings.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2003). Hot Water Consumption vs. Occupants. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hot-water-consumption-person-d_91.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.