Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Steam systems carries heat through pipes from the boiler to consumers as heat exchangers, process equipment etc.
Steam is commonly used to distribute heat from a boiler to consumers like heat exchangers, process equipment etc. Steam is also used for heating buildings.
Steam systems can be classified by pressure, method for returning condensate and/or pipe lay out.
Classification of Steam Systems by Pressure
Its common to classify steam systems as
- High pressure above 20 kN/m2 (3 lb/in2)
- Low pressure up to 20 kN/m2 (3 lb/in2)
Classification of Steam Systems by Method of Condensate Return
Steam systems can be classified as
Classification of Steam Systems by Pipe Lay Out
Steam systems can be classified by pipe scheme:
- One pipe or two pipe
- Up-feed or down-feed
- Steam and condensate pipes - heat loss uninsulated and insulated pipes, insulation thickness and more.
- Sizing of steam and condensate pipe lines - pressure loss, recommended velocity, capacity and more.
- Steam & condensate systems- properties, capacities, pipe sizing, systems configuration and more.
- Calculating steam and condensate loads in steam heated systems.
- Saturated Steam Table with steam properties as specific volume, density, specific enthalpy and specific entropy.
- Steam table with sensible, latent and total heat, and specific volume at different gauge pressures and temperatures.
- Saturated Steam Table with properties like boiling point, specific volume, density, specific enthalpy, specific heat and latent heat of vaporization.
- Steam consumption and condensate generation when heating liquid or gas flows
- Calculate steam heated air systems.
- Calculating the amount of steam in non-flow batch and continuous flow heating processes.
- An introduction to the basic design of steam heating systems.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2003). Steam Heating Systems - Classifications. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/steam-heating-systems-d_102.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.