Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Types of soil and resistivity.
The resistivity values of soil may be useful when designing earth-electrode systems.
Soil - Electrical Resistivity
|Soil||Mean Value of Resistivity|
(ohm m, Ω m)
|Clay, compacted ||100 - 200 |
|Clay, soft ||50 |
|Clayely sand ||50 - 500 |
|Humus, leaf mold ||10 - 150 |
|Granite ||1500 - 10000 |
|Granite, modified ||100 - 600 |
|Jurassic marl ||30 - 40 |
|Limestone, fissured ||500 - 1000 |
|Marl ||100 - 200 |
|Mica schist ||800 |
|Peat, turf ||5 - 100 |
|Sandstone ||1500 - 10000 |
|Sandstone, modified ||100 - 600 |
|Shist, shale ||50 - 300 |
|Siliceous sand ||200 - 300 |
|Soil, chalky ||100 - 300 |
|Soil, swampy ||1 - 30 |
|Stony sub-soil, grass-covered ||300 - 500 |
|Stony ground ||1500 - 3000 |
- Electrical units, amps and electrical wiring, wire gauge and AWG, electrical formulas and motors.
- Densities - pound per cubic foot and kilograms per cubic metre - of dirt and mud.
- Resistivity, conductivity and temperature coefficients for common materials like silver, gold, platinum, iron and more..
- Typical weight and composition of soil.
- Estimate trench excavation - online calculator.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2013). Soil - Electrical Resistivity. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/soil-resistivity-d_1865.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.