- Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
A Block Flow Diagram is a schematic illustration of a major process.
Rectangles in Block Flow Diagrams represents unit operations. Blocks are connected by straight lines representing process flow streams.
Process flow streams may be mixtures of liquids, gases and solids flowing in pipes or ducts, or solids being carried on a conveyor belt.
To make clear, easy to understand and unambiguous block flow diagrams - a number of rules should be followed:
- unit operations such as mixers, separators, reactors, distillation columns and heat exchangers are usually denoted by a simple block or rectangle
- groups of unit operations may be noted by a single block or rectangle
- process flow streams flowing into and out of the blocks are represented by neatly drawn straight lines. These lines should either be horizontal or vertical
- the direction of flow of each of the process flow streams must be clearly indicated by arrows
- flow streams should be numbered sequentially in a logical order
- unit operations (i.e., blocks) should be labeled
- where possible the diagram should be arranged so that the process material flows from left to right, with upstream units on the left and downstream units on the right
This figure depict a very small and simplified BFD:
Example - Block Flow Diagram
Piping systems design strategies - documentation, P&ID, flow diagrams - capacities and limits.
Documentation of process control systems - Block Flow Diagrams (BFD), Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) and more
2D and 3D engineering drawing tools.
Instrumentation and process control systems - design and documentation.
Example Block Flow Diagram - BFD.
A bid work flow template - Online with Google Docs.
Commissioning is methodical procedures and methods for documenting and testing performance of a technical system.
Commonly used engineering and construction contracts.
Calculate hydraulic cylinder force.
The ISA standards and symbols are important for the P&IDs and documents describing the process control system.
Schematic illustration of a functional relationship between piping, instrumentation and system components.
The Process Flow Diagram (PFD) is a schematic illustration of a system.
Draw Process Flow Diagrams with this online Google Docs drawing application.
ISA process instrumentation codes - and combinations.
The ASTM E1557 UNIFORMAT II Standard.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
The Engineering ToolBox (2003). BFD - Block Flow Diagram. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bfd-block-flow-diagram-d_467.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.